When we get older we start to show our age and our cars and trucks do the same thing. Vehicles show their age through rust spots and fixing these spots on a car requires a little cosmetic work. In order to complete this project, you need some sandpaper (rough and fine), automotive car paint, primer, and clear coat. A paint sprayer would be ideal for this job, but the purchase price of such an item can be prohibitive, so try renting one instead. If this is beyond your financial means, then you can use spray paint, but use extreme care and apply an even coat each time you use it.
- Prep. Sand the area until it is clear of the rust. For the really tough or large spots use the rough grit first and then work your way down to the finer grits. You'll know you are finished when you run your hand over the area and you don't feel any noticeable difference in level between the painted and non-painted area.
- Prime. Apply a thin coat of primer to the area and allow it to dry for a minimum of 10 minutes. Rub the area lightly to make everything nice and smooth. Repeat this process at least two more times.
- Paint. Apply a thin coat of paint and allow it to dry for 10 to 15 minutes, lightly sanding between each coat to ensure smoothness. It might take several coats to get an exact match to the existing paint, but the work is going to be worth it. After you have applied the final coat of paint, let it sit for about 90 minutes.
- Clear Coat. Clear coat is a protectant layer that helps keep your paint job nice and sparkly. Apply this the same way you applied the paint and primer. Allow about 15 minutes between each coat for it to dry. You should only need about three coats.
- Wash/Wax/Clean. Clean the car thoroughly and wax it. Take a step back and admire your work.
If you have a small dent, or even a lot of dents, on your car then you know how unsightly and unattractive they are. Instead ...
There are virtually an unlimited number of options for fixing small paint dings. All it takes is a little creativity, some ...
If you have checked into the prices of having your car repainted, you know how expensive it can be. Instead of paying someone ...